Wednesday 25 March 2015

Updated music choices for my short film

To add to the dramatic effect that I want more short film to have, I have chosen a soundtrack that will compliment the finished product. This is a work in progress and I may decide to change or remove songs from this list, however I think these song choices are adequate and go well with the short film.

Michael Jackson- Smooth Criminal

I chose this song to be playing on the car radio of Carl's car as well as when he drives out on specific lyrics in the song.

'bloodstains' and 'she was struck down' are the two lyrics that play in the fast paced edited sequence when he is driving the car towards the industrial estate, These lyrics subtly foreshadow the two major events in the short film- Carl's death by stabbing from Harry, which creates 'bloodstains' on the knife and 'she was struck down' foreshadows Lauren's mysterious death where she is revealed to have been struck down, perhaps by a 'Smooth Criminal'- the lyric that plays as Carl is driving away from the area. I felt this was subtle and added to the dramatic effect I wanted to create.

Michael Jackson- This Time Around

I chose this song to play as the credits scroll down as it has themes of revenge and standing up to people who try to bully you.

This is reflected in the lyrics 
'This time around I'll never get bit
Though you really wanna fix me
This time around you're making me sick
Though you really wanna get me
Somebody's out
Somebody's out to get me
They really wanna fix me, hit me
But this time around I'm taking no s...
Though you really wanna get me
You really wanna get me

He really thought he really had
Had a hold on me
He really thought he really had
They thought they really had control of me
He really thought he really had
Control of me
He really thought he really had
They thought they really could control me'

These lyrics reminded me of the situation between Carl and Harry- Carl 'really thought he really had a hold on me (Harry)' however he didn't as Harry killed him in the end. The track is harsh sounding and I feel that it brings closure to the short film, especially after the mysterious ending of Lauren dying.

Hunger of the Pine- Alt-J

I chose this song as it has a really melancholic and reflective sound and I thought it would emphasise the mysterious ending that contains two deaths. In this case, the lyrics aren't that significant, more the sound of the song.

Soundtrack:

I chose these three soundtrack songs from 'Fesliyanstudios' YouTube channel as they sounded really good and built suspense, emphasised drama and create a panicked, frenzied tone. They are to be used in several scenes, such as the discovery of the drugs, the confrontation at the estate and the murder of both Carl and Lauren. 

No comments:

Post a Comment