Wednesday 22 April 2015

Evaluation Question 2

Introduction



Features across all 3 products that show elements of combination



I made sure to use the same font for the titles of my product across my short film and poster to create a house style that the audience would recognise. To do this I screenshoted the title from the film, removed the background in Photoshop then pasted the clear text onto a black background to make my poster conventional with other crime-thriller short films which often use contrast of dark and light colours. I chose this font because it is bold, gritty and holds connotations of the crime-thriller genre. This means that both texts are recognisable and share the same font style, showing an effective cross over between the texts.


Furthermore, I used the images of the actors that feature in my short film on the front of my poster which is conventional and shows effective combination between my texts. Two of the images were taken from the film, however the image of Lauren was taken in a photoshoot as using an image from the film of her would not work as there were few clear images that I could impement to this poster.
I also used images from the film in my second ancillary text, the film magazine review article, this means the combination is effective as viewers of one text would easily recognise the other two from the images. I also used a very similar colour scheme in all 3 texts of Red, Black and White, these 3 colours have conntations relating to the genre of my piece: Red  has many connotations and could show the dangerous element of my short film, Carl and Lauren being killed, relating to the blood on the knife at the end.
 (Some connotations of the colour Red)


(This scene could relate to the Red in the colour scheme as there is danger and injury involved for all 3 characters)





The connotations of black, as shown from my research, are shown above. They could relate to the power Carl holds over both Lauren and Harry, the mysteriousness of the secretive location as well as the mournfulness of the death of 2 characters.


The connotations of white relate to innocence, in the case of my 3 texts this could relate to the innocence of Harry and Lauren who are dragged into this situation by Carl, the effective and thoughtful use of my colour scheme means that this shows a good combination between the texts as they are conventional so the audience will undestand the genre of the short film.







Combination as also shown between my ancillary texts as I have used the same title of magazine and rating given across them both. Although this is only a small element of combination, it shows attention to detail as well as making sure that both my ancillary texts are consistent and accurate.






Combination is also shown between where my short film would be hosted on, YouTube and my poster.


The logo of YouTube is featured as this shows where my short film would be posted, this is an effective crossover as this means people will know where to go and watch the short film. This is also conventional, as many short films are hosted and feature on YouTube which is the cheapest and best way to showcase your independent work.

These are just some short films which feature on YouTube, as you can see many I have watched many of these during my research and planning. There are 14m results showing the popularity of this format, meaning it is a good place to show my work.



The location and mise-en-scene of my short film fits in well with the genre and ideology my 3 texts are trying to convey, of a crime-thriller. Through the dark coloured costumes to connote the danger the people in this film face as well as being conventional, the industrial estate area was disused and abandoned and as discussed previously on my blog fits in with the tone of my short film. The location also fits in with my colour scheme loosely, with dark and light colours representing danger and innocence of those characters who were dragged into this situation.

The combination of my main product, ancillary text digipak and promotional poster, if it were a real media product, could lead to cross form synergy or cross media convergence, This means different types of media coming together to create related merchandise,for example T-Shirts, posters and other related merchandise, relating to the colour sceme, (in my case black and white), as seen with many famous films.



This is an example of what the T-Shirts could look like.

 This house style then becomes a recognisable product and fans of the short film collect items related to the product, meaning more money made from one product. I feel that all three of my products would work in synergy, with the short film perhaps being available on YouTube as well as DVD and other film sites like Netflix, merchandise being available for purchase as well as licensing to retail outlets like Topman and Primark as seen for popular TV shows, films and musical artists depending on success.

My target audience are in social group E so I would make my short film available for free on YouTube supported by advertising as well as on DVD for around £5 due to its length which is an affordable price for teens aged 16-24. As a 17 year old, I would probably prefer to watch the film on YouTube however the DVD could have special features such as deleted scenes and commentaries which would make it more appealing to customers. Students have little money to live on after paying fees therefore I feel this price would be appropriate enough for this selected demographic. In addition, the short film could be available for download on iTunes and Google Play for around £2.99 which is affordable for people in that demographic and means that it would be succesful as it is not to expensive.




No comments:

Post a Comment